- Comprehensive Ophthalmology
- Medical Eye Diseases
Dr. Beardsley is a comprehensive ophthalmologist who specializes in medical and surgical diseases of the eye, including cataracts, glaucoma, macular diseases, and other medical eye conditions. Although now retired from performing major intraocular surgery, he sees new patients and consultations while maintaining a full-time medical ophthalmology practice. Dr. Beardsley is a summa cum laude graduate of Duke University and was elected Phi Beta Kappa. He received his M.D. degree from Duke Medical School and completed graduate work as a Resident in Anesthesiology at Duke. He completed an Internal Medicine internship at Dartmouth University and a three-year Ophthalmology Residency at the Duke University Eye Center.
Dr. Beardsley is Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and the National Board of Medical Examiners. He has voluntarily completed Maintenance of Certification with the ABO and serves as a Board Examiner and member of the Exam Development Committee. He is a Consulting Associate in the Department of Ophthalmology at Duke University Eye Center and the Asheville VA Medical Center. He is on the staff of Mission Hospital and the Asheville Eye Surgery Center, serving as the Medical Director from 2005-2020.
Dr. Beardsley is a member and the past president of the North Carolina Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons. He is a member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons and both the Western North Carolina and North Carolina Medical Societies. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Academy of Ophthalmology and has received both the AAO Achievement Award and the Lifelong Education for the Ophthalmologist Award. Dr. Beardsley has been honored as a Best Doctors in America by Best Doctors, Inc., every year since 2010. He is among only 5% of physicians in America selected for this prestigious honor.
Dr. Beardsley and his wife, Kay, have three children and eight grandchildren. He has been in practice in Asheville since 1982. He and Dr. Ed Isbey, Jr., founded Asheville Eye Associates in 1987. He is an Elder at Arden Presbyterian Church. He enjoys hiking, skiing, gardening and grandfathering.
- Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
- Board Certified by the National Board of Medical Examiners
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Associate Examiner for the American Board of Ophthalmology
- The Archives of Ophthalmology Editorial Review Board
- Medical Staff of Mission Hospitals
- Medical Staff of Asheville VA Medical Center
- Medical Director of The Asheville Eye Surgery Center
- Consulting Associate Professor of Ophthalmology of Duke University Eye Center
- Member of the American Eye Study Club
- Member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member and Past President of the North Carolina Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- Member of the North Carolina Medical Society
- Member of the Buncombe County Medical Society
- Member or the Western North Carolina Society of Ophthalmology
8 Medical Park Drive
Asheville, NC 28803