- Contact Lenses
- Optical Services
- Pediatric Ophthalmology
- Strabismus and Amblyopia
Dr. Wiggins specializes in comprehensive ophthalmology, pediatric ophthalmology, and neuro-ophthalmology. He received his B.A. and M.D. degrees at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa and was awarded membership in Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society. He completed his ophthalmology residency at Duke University Eye Center. His first Fellowship was in Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus at Baylor College of Medicine. A second Fellowship in Neuro-ophthalmology was then completed at the Duke University Eye Center. He also earned a Masters Degree in Health Care Administration from UNC-Chapel Hill in 2003, and serves as the Administrator for Asheville Eye Associates.
Dr. Wiggins has held several teaching positions, including Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatric Ophthalmology at King Khalid Eye Specialist Hospital in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and Consulting Associate in the Department of Ophthalmology at Duke University Eye Center. He currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the Board of the American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives, and the Board of the Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company. He also serves as the President of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Stabismus.
As Western North Carolina’s only physician fellowship-trained in both Pediatric Ophthalmology and Neuro-ophthalmology, Dr. Wiggins is a recognized authority in children’s eye disorders and neurological diseases of the eye. Dr. Wiggins has been named among the Best Doctors in America by Best Doctors Inc. since 2011. Best Doctors, Inc., surveys approximately 45,000 doctors in the U.S. who anonymously vote for the Best Doctors in America. Dr. Wiggins is among only 5% of physicians in America selected for this prestigious honor. Dr. Wiggins has been awarded the Honor and Secretariat Awards by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. These awards recognize ophthalmologists for contributions to the Academy and ophthalmology.
Dr. Wiggins and his wife have three children. He enjoys family activities and golf. He has lived in Asheville since 1991.
- Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
- Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Vice President of the Association of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- Member of the American Medical Association
- Consulting Associate Professor of Ophthalmology of Duke University Eye Center
- Member of the American Eye Study Club
- Member of the North Carolina Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- Member of the North Carolina Medical Society
- Medical Staff of Mission Hospitals
- Medical Staff of Thoms Rehabilitation Hospital
- Member of the Buncombe County Medical Society
- Member of the Duke Eye Center Alumni Association
- Member of the American College of Physician Executives
8 Medical Park Drive
Asheville, NC 28803